Ainley, Hoover & Hoover, PLLC.

Criminal Defense FAQs

Q: What types of criminal defense cases does are firm handle?
A: We handle and have seen over a decade worth of pretty much everything including, but not limited to:

  • Assault
  • Vehicular Assault
  • Aggravated Assault
  • Domestic Assault
  • Criminal Homicide
  • Voluntary Manslaughter
  • Kidnapping
  • Robbery
  • Rape
  • Statutory Rape
  • Extortion
  • Obstruction of Justice

Q: What are some of the most common ways people unintentionally incriminate themselves?
A: The most common way a person can make their situation worse after an arrest has taken place is speaking without legal counsel. You should ALWAYS get an attorney.
Q: What’s the difference between a misdemeanor and a felony?
A: Misdemeanors are crimes which carry punishment of less than one year in jail; felonies are crimes which carry a punishment of over one year in jail.
Q: What if I feel guilty or believe that I am guilty? Should I throw myself onto the mercy of the court?
A: Only if you like jail. Even if you are guilty of an offense, a lawyer often can help soften the hit by working out a much better solution that you can get by throwing yourself on the mercy of the Court. NEVER, EVER do that. Always get a lawyer.
Q: Do most cases go to trial or settle out of court?
A: Good lawyers settle cases when reason is available. Probably more than 95% of criminal cases are settled with some sort of agreement. Good lawyers who work in the criminal area know the law, and most importantly, know what the Court will accept and what might happen if a trial is had. That knowledge is VERY valuable and essential to any criminal defense.
Q: Are there alternative punishments to jail that I might qualify for or you could get me in to?
A: Yes, there are many possible alternatives that could apply to your case, such as:

  • Community Service
  • House Arrest
  • Probation
  • Deferred Adjudication
  • Diversion

Q: What should I look for when hiring a criminal defense attorney? What are some red flags a person should look for?
A: You should look for an attorney who practices in the pertaining courts regularly. Ask others in the community who has a reputation for winning and excellent service.

What should you be wary of? Any lawyer who promises you a certain result.

Attorney Michael Ainley

Get your questions answered - Call for a case evaluation and free book (731) 642-0178